There is nothing better than salt in the air and sand in my hair (what's left of it).

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Every Day Is A Gift From God

Yesterday I had another good set of lab results. I have to go every 6 months. For those of you who don't know; two and a half years ago I was diagnosed with Stage 2 prostate cancer. After the initial shock of the diagnosis I got in touch with an old friend, who had recently gone through this. He encouraged me to drop whomever I was seeing and go see his Urologist, Dr. Ahlering.  Within two weeks of calling his office I was in UCI Medical Center to have the offending body part removed. And while the initial wound recovery was incredibly fast (3 weeks and I was back in the water), it took 3 months to gain full control of my bladder and another 9 months before my manhood got back to normal. But in reality those issues are insignificant to the fact that I get to enjoy the company of my wife, my kids, my grand kids, my family and friends, surfing and yes, even work. Like I said, every day going forward is a gift from God and I'm very thankful for it. So I try to make the most of every day and be a good person. 

Life is short, so take my advice:
  • Find a good GP
  • Get regular exams (PSA, Cholesterol, etc)
  • If you have hereditary maladies – keep a close eye on them
  • Get some exercise and reduce your stress = go surfing as often as you can



No comments:

Post a Comment