There is nothing better than salt in the air and sand in my hair (what's left of it).

Monday, October 17, 2011

Down Time

Sometimes you have to take some down time from surfing.

I got some really bad news earlier this month. I was diagnosed with prostate cancer.

The good news is that it looks like the cancer has not spread outside the prostate. That makes my condition highly curable. But the bottom line is the offending body part needs to be removed ASAP. My surgery is tomorrow at 1:00. The doctor I’ve picked to do the surgery is world renowned and right here in our own back yard at UCI Medical Center.

The recovery time for the surgery is surprisingly short and with any luck I should be back in the line-up by Thanksgiving, maybe sooner. A week or so after surgery I should be ok to walk down to uppers to take pictures, hang out and torture myself.

It’s a journey I didn’t ask for but am now fully committed to take. I will keep you updated on my progress. I’ll try to not over-share the gruesome details and there will be absolutely no pictures of my private parts; no sense in confirming my shortcomings .

Do yourself a big favor and get an annual PSA.

No comments:

Post a Comment